Wednesday, February 27, 2008

Speaking of Monkeys

While we're on the subject, Ghana received a renowned guest in the form of President George W. Bush last week for 72 whole hours. I suppose that's to make up for the last 7 years of staying in Texas. Or maybe he just wanted to take advantage of his last chance to spend as much taxpayer money as possible: He reportedly rented the entire La Palm Beach Resort (in which a single room costs at least $300) and had sent an advance guard of 600 people weeks before his arrival. He met with President Kufour, but gave no public statement. Nobody is certain why he came, but some quality guesses involve suggestions to set up a US military base in Ghana and the fact that the country recently found a hefty oil reserve just off the coast. Oil and military spending? I'm surprised it took him so long.

But seriously, it has been very interesting to interact with people on this subject. Some Ghanains hate his guts, and we get to explain that just because we're from the US, we are from the 'good state' and we don't support him at all. Some, on the other hand, were very excited about his visit. Some believe it is a step towards putting Ghana on the map an in the spotlight so they can attract funding and development, some believe he really is a generous person for donating a pittance for the US and a fortune for Ghana to malaria eradication projects. Some think a US military base will lead to peace-keeping missions in Liberia, Nigeria, Cote D'Ivoire and Sierra Leone. Mostly, Ghanains are not very attached to the subject of the war in Iraq. Those who oppose it think it was a stupid idea, but don't have the same sense of moral outrage that I've seen in the US and England. I've also run into the idea that I should support my government no matter what. While that sounds silly, it's important to remember that Ghana's last military junta relinquished power in 1993! With the story of Kenya in the background, it makes sense that stability and support of government and governmental institutions vastly outweighs one's feelings on any particular policy. I've just heard a rumor that I can get a Ghanain newspaper delivered to my room, so I'll try to keep you updated on the local news if anything looks interesting. I'm about out of time but I have more to say about my coursework and weekend trips. More soon. I miss you

1 comment:

Sabira said...

Wow. . . yeah, I experienced a lot of the same types of sentiment in Egypt regarding US politics.

Who do you talk to from the Ghanean culture, mostly? My main lines of communication were a friends family, and lots and lots of taxi drivers, who were remarkably well informed as to world politics. Is there a Ghana equivalent to the Cairo cabbie?