Tuesday, February 12, 2008

Ghanain Food

We were finally permitted to try out some hardcore Ghanain food for lunch after lectures last Wednesday. I'm sure that I'll write more about food as time goes on because I value it so much (I miss fresh produce!). But for now I want to give a brief introduction to Ghanain food with the meal that we had:
This is a table of us at Tasty Treats, a resteraunt that is just out of walking distance of campus on a hot day, but I've heard it's doable. They always have a good assortment of foods and it's classically Ghanain, so it was a proper place for our first Ghanain meal (we've been having Ghanain breakfast, but it's usually porridge or rolls or something not terribly exciting, so this felt like the true first). From left to right: Andria, Alicia, Emily, Katie, Secily.


This was my meal. On the right is a plate of white rice and two types of fried rice with red tomato/palm oil sauce (referred to as gravy), some chicken and a very small portion of cabbage salad. There are hardly any vegetables here, so that cabbage is like gold. The rice, chicken and sauce are a staple of almost every meal. If you order chips (french fries), it comes with rice and chicken unless you ask them specifically for just chips. On the left is fufu. The pale blob is a dough made from mashed cassava/yam and it's in a slightly spice goat soup. You grab a little of the dough with your right hand, put it in your mouth and swallow without chewing. You can also chomp on some of the goat meat if you need a break. Then drink the soup when you're done. It's very heavy and filling so I barely made it through the half-portion pictured above, but it's a classic dish here. I just thought the foodies among us might appreciate it.

1 comment:

Mrs. Sparkles said...

Do i sense a future Stebbins dinner theme? I wonder if CK can order goat...