Wednesday, February 6, 2008

A few more basic photos


From left to right: Grace (UCSD), Kelly (UCB) and Wes (UCSD). These are the guys I met at the Wok Inn at the airport, and we hopped the first ride in an International Students Program van to the U of Ghana campus. It was a very important ride and we compared notes about how it feels to really be starting such an outlandish adventure.



Moving in our bags to the porter's lodge, the entrance to the dormitory. Everybody had to bring enough to last six months, and none of us really knew what to expect, but that lead to some exciting suitcase lugging




"For Women of Vision and Style", this is the largest wing of Volta Hall, our temporary dormitory. After orientation, the three guys will move to an all-male dorm called Legon Hall. That will be a big adventure, and I'll be sure to keep you updated




My bed in our temporary room. Note the several heavy books on the case, sunscreen in the foreground, and the fairy-tale poison hanging bed draping (mosquito net). The three guys (Wes, Aaronson and myself) are staying in one of the standard dorm rooms which has 5 beds and is about the same size as my double at Stebbins. Let's think about that. I come from a family of 6 and we can sometimes barely share an entire house, let alone a single cramped room. There's one desk and a balcony that looks onto clotheslines surrounded by barbed wire. The bathroom is right across the hall, but that's a longer story for another day.

1 comment:

Mrs. Sparkles said...

It's Susan! HI THEO I MISS YOU! Ah mosquito nets. When I lived in Malaysia I had one or else I'd wake up with at least 5 new bites =( If it gets really hot and they let you have electric fans putting one inside the net with you is like heaven...