Wednesday, February 27, 2008

Low low prices...always

I had forgotten in the mention of that food to talk about where we'd gotten most of it. Just this side of Accra is the new Accra Mall. There's no polite way to say this, but it really is a complete mindfuck to wander from the dusty streets of a third world city into, essentially, a Walmart equivalent (down to the cursive signs advertising "always low prices" and the smiley face logo!). The mall is air conditioned, very clean, caters pretty much exclusively to white people, and is generally a very confusing place to be. I walked in, froze, looked around and said out loud to those I was with "where are we?" Still, I wandered the isles confused getting supplies of peanut butter (called groundnut paste here), cereal, juice, and whatever else looked like it wouldn't instantly melt in the cab ride home. I also got the fan, featured a few posts ago, which is actually crucial to survival. I reflect on American consumerism a lot at home, and it's just always a shock to see that while America fails so greatly to export supposed values of freedom, and tolerance, the bottles of Nutella that cost over $10 here are quick to arrive. Even looking around my cluttered room I realize that my "minimalist" packing, in addition to what I've bought here, amounts to a lot. More than I need. I tell myself it's just because I like feeling prepared going into unknown situations, but I'm sure that it has something to do with a love of having stuff that's seeped into me. It's creepy, and I'm trying to cleanse myself and remember that a lot of it isn't important, but I still packed it... It just seemed like a good time to reflect on such things. Maybe I'll give some stuff away if I can find a place that will take it here.

No comments: