Wednesday, April 9, 2008

Life moves slowly

Fortunately, there was not much exciting that happened for the next long while. I have been a little afraid that I have given you all the impression that life here is just one big traveling adventure. While that is true in some ways, it's important that I convey how slowly everything moves here. We typically budget one errand per day which could range from checking email to going into Accra to buy groceries- something that at home would be one unnoticable activity on a long to-do list. Each day moves slowly, and not much gets done. The bright side is that that leaves a lot of room for personal reflection (sometimes scary), long, drawn-out meals, walking slowly instead of jogging or biking, coloring, reading, and napping.

The following week included more cake and ice cream for the March-born students (only Megan), and the arrival of Megan's family including her boyfriend Mike who will be with us for the long haul until the end of the semester. It was fantastic to meet them because they are all very kind and entertaining people, and there was somewhat of a rush of California viewpoints, which was more than welcome. It provided a really good opportunity for me to re-live that first week I spent here, to talk about what shocked me the most, things they noticed that I didn't, and a re-affirmation that this place is very different from the home I am used to, so periodic moments of insanity are warranted. The group that flew back has arrived safely, and I hope they know how fun it was to meet them and enjoy their California company :-)

Ah, also worth note is that another thief was punished outside of the library. Bad thieves.

No comments: