Thursday, March 20, 2008

Coming "Home"

It is a weird feeling coming home to a place that, for the last couple of weeks, has been the glaring opposite of my home in a lot of ways. I was anxious to get back because I didn't feel very connected to Legon. I was afraid that I would feel off being back here. I definitely am not as well connected to people on campus as I wish I was, and it's a slow process to settle into such a different place and make good friendships, so it can feel lonely and frustrating. I was surprised to find that I felt really good arriving back on campus. People greeted me (as is customary here- you are right to feel a little down if people pass by you and don't at least make eye contact), and I arrived in my building and had a long conversation with the porters (the men who sit on the ground floor to make sure no crazy people walk through though how they spot them I can't be sure), and just sat on my bed exhausted. I met up with a big group from California for dinner and hung around. It felt good, but also weird because the experience of arriving of course prompted memories of home and what it will be like to really arrive there again. Who knows?

No comments: