Thursday, January 31, 2008

Haze

When we landed in Lagos, Nigeria en route to Accra, Ghana, I tried to get a good view of the landscape but was thwarted by a hazy mixture of fog, sand and pollution. Over Ghana's capital I could only make out pinpricks of bright blue light that didn't cast very far and left most of the landscape in darkness. It was like looking down at the stars. This all wouldn't be worth including unless it were (you guessed it) metaphorical for my first impressions. I ache with the desire to figure out my surroundings so I can just glide through them observing without worry, but that will take time, so I'm re-learning an old lesson: enjoy the chaos. They say that every day is a new adventure, and that's especially true for me here. I expect that I wil continue to be surprised by the cultural divide until my plane ride home, but I hope that this serves as a fun story for you to read as it unfolds as it will be a relieving reminder of home for me. I miss you all and have faith that this experience will teach me a lot that I can bring back, including how important all of my relationships are. Be well.

No comments: